|With a last name that means "the beginning of all things" in German, Rudy Ursprung, Berea's Outstanding Citizen for 1969, has been responsible for the beginning of many good things in Berea in (lie 75 years since he moved here.
Rudy is a native Clevelander whose parents emigrated from Switzerland in tile 1880's.
He founded his company, R. S. Ursprung Co., in 1920, after taking extension courses in civil engineering and business administration and working for a general contractor for several years. His company has built numerous buildings on the Baldwin-Wallace campus, the terminal at Cleveland Hopkins Airport, Berea and Parma High Schools, as well as other well-known churches, commercial and municipal structures throughout the Cleveland area. His professional career has brought him many honors and leadership positions in contractor and builder groups.
Rudy's second career has been military. Starting with Mexican border service in 1914, he went on to serve in both World Wars to round out a military career that spanned 50 years, including 8 1/2 on active duty. His many decorations include the Distinguished Service Cross, the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart and the Croix de Guerre with gilt star. He was a charter member and officer of the Albert E. Baesel Post No. 91, American Legion, in Berea.
Rudy Ursprung's civic involvements go back to the late '20's, when he started as a leader of the Republican Party in Berea, His military background was instrumental in securing the armory building for Berea and in his becoming Berea's Civil Defense Director.
He has served on the Berea Planning Commission, the Berea Charter Commission and the Berea Board of Public Affairs.
Rudy is a Shriner and a Rotarian, which he served as president. He also is a member of the Berea Chamber of Commerce.
His close association with Baldwin-Wallace College has resulted in his longtime membership on their Board of Trustees. The R. S. Ursprung Health and Physical Education Building on the campus is named in his honor.
Rudy and his wife, Ethel, live on E. Center Street.
|Presented October 7, 1969||Strosacker Hall, Baldwin-Wallace College|